Wrapping up warm

11:49

With the weather in England unpredictable as these last few weeks have proven, some days snowing other days blue skies but still freezing, you have to make sure you are wrapped up warm but looking stylish!


I am a bit of a coat fiend to be honest, I must own at least 8 or 9 coats/jackets/blazers ranging from ones that could be used on the slopes to others that are worn when walking the dog. I honestly believe you cannot have too much of something when it comes to clothes, as there are times when one garment will not fit into the situation you are in. 

I find coats and jackets are a great because you can look good without actually having to try because the coat is the main attraction to the outfit. Here are a few jackets/coats/blazers every man should have. 

1. Wool coats

Also known as a pea coat these where made for sailors in Europe and later for the American navy. Characterised by their doubled breasted fronts they have rapidly come back into fashion this winter with the increase in double breast look we have seen in suits. 

I bought one of these form House of Fraser the other day buy 'Label Lab' for a nice sale price of £72. It has a great finish to it with a dark olive green and military style design down the cuffs and on the shoulders. The only down fall of this coat was the button. It wasn't the design themselves it was the durability of them, they where popping off left, right and centre which was bit annoying. 




These two coats here are both from Asos, and both under £85. The grey one on the left is Asos's own brand for £75. I like this coat because it's a good grey. It's like a dark grey that will go with a lot of jeans or trousers. If I had this coat I would team this with a bright knitted jumper underneath. Somewhere like Jack Wills are good with their knitted jumpers always nice and thick and around £70. If you aren't looking to spend that somewhere like Topman or Urban Outfitters normally do good knits. Then on the legs and dark pair of fitted, slim jeans and brown leather boots. 
The one on the right is made by 'Select' and is currently on offer for £84 down from £120 (bargain). I like how Asos have styled their model. They have shown that these coats are not just for the working man. With the pastel coloured beanie and dark checked shirt with light skinny jeans and suede navy desert boots they have have captured the younger market, the late teens. 

Also if looking to just keep warm and throw something on wear a big knitted turtle neck under the the coat and show the sleeves out of the jacket. I very good look.

When buying a coat like this I always stick to a dark colour because you know you can where it with nearly everything you have. Alternatively you could buy a bridge coat. These wool coats are the ones that fall to the calf area. Burberry showcased a fantastic one at the AW13 show that was a almost a light  brown, very different colour. I find bridge coats do look good in a tan, dark brown and black colour and should be worn with a dark suit. 

 Here is a fine example by Mr United Kingdom himself James Bond (Daniel Craig) wearing Burberry. 



Here are a few examples of pea/bridge coats.











2. The puffer jacket

About 2 years ago I got a black Ralph Lauren puffer jacket for christmas and well I have never really taken it off! 

I love these jackets because you can throw them on for any occasion. I mainly use mine during the cold days because it keep you bloody warm! These are the coats than can be worn to take the dog on a walk, to the office, drink with friends or on the French alps. 

These coats though must have the perfect finish to them. They have to be a dull finish not a glossy finish because they look dreadful. I saw a Dolce and Gabbana in Harvey Nichols that was a real gloss finish in black and it look hideous! 

The obvious place to go for one of these is North Face, the kings of winter sports jackets. My brother bought one of these - warmest jackets on the planet. 















The North face on the right is the 'Men's Argento Hoodie Jacket' at a modest £220 (you cant put a price on warmth). As you may have noticed I enjoy my dark colours with coats and especially in winter , I find it easier to wear darker clothes not sure why. Anyway back to the coat this coat is great for the outdoorsy kind of guy. 

The one on the left is from our good friends Asos! Known as the 'Asos mens quilted jacket with PU Yoke' I really like this coat because of the heritage material. By that I mean almost like a tweed style and the trim is great with Yoke shoulders and contrast colour. 

Although this could be worn to the office I think it is very much a weekend coat when who knows what you will get up to but with a one of these one shoulders you will be sure you will be warm doing.  


Few examples 








3. The leather jacket

Every man and I mean every man should have a nice fitted leather jacket, whether it be a biker style jacket or pilot jacket. If you don't want to go all out with a leather jacket Burberry have done a mens trench coat with a leather arms and I do enjoy it. 

Although I have not had one for a number of years, I think it is time to reinvest in one. The only problem being there are a lot of different styes to choose from.

I have typically seen 3 styles that I enjoy:
1. The pilot jacket style
2. The Biker jacket
3. The Bomber style jacket

The Pilot jacket

I really like these style jackets because I am fan of 'popping' the collar. If I was to get one I would get a dark brown leather with a light cream trim. One similar to what everyone's favourite 'boi' Jamie Laing wears.  


These types of jacket are great for the Winter/Autumn/Spring time because you can zip it up in the Winter to keep all your body heat in. Or in Autumn/Spring weather with just a T shirt underneath you can still look good without getting too hot. The one pictured is by Ralph Lauren and to be honest I don't really want to know the price, because we all know it will cost an arm and a leg.

The Biker Style 

I find this style a little controversial as when I first saw them I wasn't that enticed by them. They have know grown on me. If I was going to buy and wear one of these I would wear it open with the collar up, not a fan of the full zipped up. Zayn Malik is a big fan of these.



I swear I he never takes this thing off! Here he is wearing a Topman biker jacket in the region of £80. I do like these but I would have to buy a real leather one. I have seen a few 'leather look' in Topman, River Island and H&M but they look tacky! A great place to find one of these is a Vintage store, you will find one in any city around the country at the moment.

 Bomber style jacket

Never really been a fan of the bomber jacket, especially these horrendous print style ones that 'hipsters' are trying to pull off. I repeat TRYING but failing.


Now I haven't actually seen many people wearing this style out yet but I think it is a great style of jacket. Although the model does have a certain 'Grease' look to him! These with a casual hoodie underneath or a printed T shirt or dark jeans with boots or trainers like blazers would be a good midday or nighttime outfit. This one is from good old Asos for £110. With free next day delivery at the moment why not treat yourself?

If you are wanting a nice leather and have a bit a cash to splash I would get down to All Saints, their leather jackets are always spot on and on trend!

Few Examples 






All above are from All Saints



Sam



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Total Pageviews

MensTrends. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images